Foster Application Process
- Applicant completes the application and agreement below and submits $25 yearly membership fee. (All volunteers submit a $25 membership fee annually. This nominal fee covers a background check and entitles volunteers to receive a t-shirt, volunteer mailings, and ongoing educational opportunities and materials.)
- Applicant is contacted within 2 days and the information provided on the application is verified.
- Applicant is assigned a foster coordinator and home check is scheduled and completed. Fosters must schedule vet appointments through their foster coordinator and use one of the vets used by Paws to Heart. Fosters should notify their foster coordinator about supplies or food needed and it will be provided at no cost. If foster chooses to purchase something with his/her own money, foster should save the receipt as these expenses are tax deductible. These expenses are not reimbursed by Paws to Heart.
- Applicant is added to members only Facebook group to be included and be informed of things going on in the rescue. Paws to Heart markets pets available for adoption through various methods including Petfinder and events. Foster is responsible for assisting in marketing his or her foster dog through word of mouth, by bringing him or her to events, and by providing photos and a good description to their foster coordinator or posting in the Facebook group to be uploaded to Petfinder.
- Applicant attends at least one dog handling training class.
- Applicant meets potential dog to foster, takes dog into home, and receives supplies. For the safety of the foster's household and other animals, fosters are required to place the shelter animal entering their home into a two-week shut down period. This means that the dog is separated from all other animals in the household. Slow introductions are required for each animal and this is in turn will create a more balanced transition period for the shelter animal entering your household.